To the uninitiated – and even the initiated – the world of Kubernetes data management can seem a complex one, rife with laborious processes and security risks. Luckily, through the mist, Kasten K10 emerges as a forerunner in this field. Acquired by Veeam Software in 2020, Kasten K10 is a leader in data backup, disaster recovery, and mobility for Kubernetes. Since its creation, the platform swiftly became a necessity for Day 2 operations, simplifying complex tasks like backup, disaster recovery, and application migration. So great has been its impact, that we’ve decided to write this full feature piece. So, let’s delve a little deeper into Kasten K10 and all it has to offer.
What Makes Kasten K10 a Game-Changer?
There are other platforms on the market that perform similar functions, so what makes Kasten K10 stand out?
A Cloud-Native Approach
At the heart of Kasten K10 sits a robust Cloud Native data management platform, meticulously crafted to address the intricacies of modern data operations. The platform harnesses a native Kubernetes API, seamlessly integrating with database systems and boasting automatic application discovery. What truly sets it apart is its ability to facilitate multi-cloud mobility, allowing for fluid data migration across environments, be it on-premises or in the public cloud. This gives organisations the flexibility to adapt and scale their operations. The cloud-native approach means they can operate safely in the knowledge that their data is secure and primed for maximum efficiency and accessibility across diverse environments.
The business world is rife with cyber threats and the emphasis on security cannot be overstated. Kasten K10 embodies a comprehensive end-to-end security framework. This means enterprise-grade encryption, robust identity and access management, and role-based access controls. Such measures are crucial in safeguarding critical data, ensuring compliance, and fortifying an organisation’s security posture.
Kasten K10 stands apart from other similar platforms because of its operational simplicity. It’s quick to deploy and easily used via an innovative management interface or Cloud Native API. Plans are easily understood via yaml, while the policies are reusable too. As scripts are displayed in blueprint catalogues, K10 is very maintainable and easy to use. Furthermore, it uses automation and dynamic policies to automatically discover complex Cloud Native Kubernetes apps and inventories the relevant dependencies. This empowers organisations to achieve consistent backups across microservices, a task that traditionally demanded extensive manual intervention. This in turn frees enterprises up to spend more time on innovation and other complex tasks.
Kasten K10: Key Features and Capabilities
Kasten K10 is much more than a surface-level platform. It boasts a wide range of key features and capabilities, making it the last word in Kubernetes Data Protection:
- Multi-Cloud Mobility Kasten K10 facilitates seamless data migration across various cloud environments, ensuring fluidity and flexibility in data operations.
- Automatic Application Discovery By autonomously identifying applications, Kasten K10 streamlines the backup and recovery process, reducing manual intervention.
- Database Integrations Kasten K10 goes beyond standard backup solutions by seamlessly integrating with database systems, ensuring comprehensive data protection.
- Policy-Driven Functionality The platform’s policy-driven approach allows for consistent backups across microservices, simplifying the management of complex Kubernetes environments.
- Interoperability between Kubernetes Distributions Kasten K10’s ability to manage interoperability means data migration can be easily adjusted dynamically to suit specific configurations for a more flexible and adaptable experience.
- Apply Policies on Labels Define specific rules and actions on different data sets, ensuring it’s handled in a way that aligns with organisational requirements and compliance standards.
- Deduplication and Compression Reduce the amount of data needed to be transferred or stored, thus optimising storage and network bandwidth.
Is Kasten K10 the Right Choice for You?
As with any technology, it’s vital to evaluate whether it’s right for your organisation. Below we’ve included a few key questions to ask yourself before adaptation.
How difficult is Kasten K10 to implement?
One of the most pressing questions for potential users is the learning curve associated with Kasten K10. While it is an undoubtedly powerful platform, its user-friendly interface and comprehensive documentation make the learning process relatively straightforward. While K10 is simple for daily use, blueprints are more complex if not present within the Kasten market, although more common applications will be present. Plus, the market is consistently updated with improvements and new applications.
How much is Kasten K10?
Kasten K10 offers a free trial, meaning organisations are free to explore its features before committing to full implementation. For enterprise-grade solutions, pricing is available upon request, tailored to individual organisational needs. You can visit Kasten’s website for more information on pricing.
Is Kasten K10 suitable for our existing infrastructure?
When running a stateless application, Velero backup will likely suffice. If handling persistent data, however, Kubernetes is suitable.Kasten K10 is a Kubernetes-native platform, so it’s important to make sure that your infrastructure is compatible. You’ll need to have a Kubernetes cluster in place, and you’ll need to make sure that you have the necessary permissions to install and run Kasten K10. And while Kasten K10’s footprint is small within the context of Kubernetes, one must factor this into account. For lifecycle management, it can impact the compatibility matrix.
The Future with Kasten K10
As Kubernetes deployments surge, Kasten K10 becomes indispensable for organisations looking to harness the potential of cloud-native environments while ensuring data security. Its operational simplicity, coupled with robust security measures, makes it a vital asset in today’s data-driven world. With Kasten K10, organisations can not only embrace the potential of cloud-native environments, but also fortify their data management practices for a secure and resilient future.
- Kasten K10 revolutionises Kubernetes data management with its Cloud Native platform, end-to-end security, and operational simplicity.
- Key features like multi-cloud mobility, automatic application discovery, and policy-driven functionality empower organisations to manage complex Kubernetes environments with ease.
- The platform’s user-friendly interface and comprehensive documentation make it accessible to a wide range of users.
- Kasten K10 offers a free trial, allowing organisations to explore its features before committing to enterprise-grade solutions.
- As Kubernetes adoption continues to grow, Kasten K10 stands as a crucial tool for organisations seeking to optimise their data operations in cloud-native environments.
This article and infographic are part of a larger series centred around the technologies and themes found within the 2023 edition of the TechRadar by Devoteam report. To learn more about Microsoft Cloud for Sovereignty and other technologies you need to know about, please download the TechRadar by Devoteam .